Sunday, May 16, 2010

Freaking Local Teams

Why is it that every time I get excited about the local professional teams, they lay a big fat freaking egg?

I picked the Dallas Cowboys before the football season started. A lot of that had to do with me being a homer. But as the season progressed, I was getting more and more excited. After they beat The Philadelphia Eagles to end the regular season and then again in the first round of the playoffs, I was on board. I was toting them as the Super Bowl champs.

The next week, they got WAXED by the Minnesota Vikings.

And that was the best team in the area.

Let's continue.

I watched the Dallas Mavericks put together one of the most balanced teams in the regular season. The parts they thought they didn't have, well, they went out and traded for them. After the trade, they went on a 13 game winning streak. Then the struggled, but put it back together to go from 5th in the Western Conference, all the way to 2nd. Once again, I am excited and even pick them to win the West. I knew LeBron would struggle, so I even picked them to win the whole NBA Finals.

Once the playoffs started, it was like every person associated with the team forgot how to play, and they lost in the first round.

And now we get to the Texas Rangers. Last week I touted them as the 1st place Texas Rangers. Once they read my blog, I guess they decided to prove me right once again, as they got swept by the Toronto Blue Jays. It is still early in baseball season, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

The point I am trying to make is, every time I gloat or get excited about my team, they smack me right square in the face. I understand that it goes along with being a fan, but for crying out loud, don't kick the crap out of me every time I get excited.

What cracks me up as I write this is, as soon as the Rangers win 2 out of 3 I will be saying the same thing. I admit it. I am a fan, but quit beating me up. Just once, I want my teams to show me half as much love as I show them.

As always, let me hear from you. Send it to john@bigbadsportsdaddy.com

Thanks, John Conner

No comments:

Post a Comment