Sunday, May 9, 2010

1st Place Rangers

I know it is early and I know the summer hasn't hit in Texas yet, but I have more than a good feeling about the Texas Rangers. I have to admit it, but I have this feeling every year, and lately, nothing have come from it. But for some reason this feels different, and let me tell you why.

First, All-Star second baseman, Ian Kinsler, has just now started playing. He was out for the first month of the season, and yet Joaquin Arias and Andres Blanco filled in perfectly.

Next, Nelson Cruz, who was leading the league in home runs, gets hurt, and David Murphy fills in nicely. Cruz is due back around the 12th or 13th of this month.

Next, Rich Harden, Scott Feldman and Matt Harrison have not pitch as good as expected. No problem. CJ Wilson is third in the majors in ERA and Colby Lewis is averaging 9.8 strikeouts per 9 innings. Both guys are winning...a lot. And Harrison, is going on the DL, and will be replaced by Derek Holland, who leads AAA is ERA, strikeouts, and WHIP.

Finally, Frankie Franscisco has stunk in the closer's role. Flamethrower Neftali Feliz has been amazing, and remember, he is only 21 years old.

This is why I am so excited. The Rangers have had adversity and have fought through it. The impending sale has not affected the play on the field. It is another bonus to know that Tom Hicks has been run out by MLB, and they have taken over the sale of the team to Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan.

Another thing that can't be overlooked is the fact that this division stinks. Seattle has pitching, but can't score any runs. Oakland is playing far better than their team really is, and should start fading soon. Los Angeles is a mystery. They have good players, but they are playing awful right now.

This team has beat Cliff Lee, Felix Hernandez and Zack Greinke. These are all considered aces, and rightfully so. They have gotten major contributions from guys like Vladamir Guerrero, who Los Angeles said had nothing left, and Matt Treanor, who was just a healthy body in spring training.

This team has no fear, and they know whomever they put out their game to game is gonna perform.

I know it is early, and I know that the hot July and August days haven't been here yet, but their is something about this team this year. I am not saying that they are gonna win the World Series, but I do think they win the division, and then once they are in the playoffs, who knows.

I like the makeup of this team, and I like the reinforcements waiting in AAA. And if the sale ever goes through, they might actually have a little money to go get a player or two.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.

John Conner

As always, let me hear from you. john@bigbadsportsdaddy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment