Sunday, March 21, 2010

You have been sniffed out Ron

Ron Washington, manager of the Texas Rangers, did cocaine. He admits it. He is sorry. We all feel bad for him.

Who am I kidding? I don't feel sorry for him at all. He is in the spotlight in the town , at this time of year, for all the wrong reasons.
But the more I look into this, the more I understand the Rangers off season.
Why did Clint Hurdle get the hitting coach's job? Of coarse he is qualified, but he also has managing experience in case the current manager gets canned. I don't know if that was the thinking, but it is what I am thinking.
Do I think Washington should have been fired? Hell Yes.
Not only has he taken over the focus of this team, but if the team struggles, questions will come out about Washington. He was probably on the shortest leash in Major League Baseball already. But now, if the team gets off to a slow start, he is gone.

I understand that is most jobs, if you come to your boss and say, "I have a drug problem," then they will do what it takes to help you out. It also stays private. In MLB, that is not the case. It is supposed to stay private, but never does. Just ask the people who failed steroid tests in 2003.
Do I think the Rangers should help Washington out? Of coarse. But they can also do it without him being the manager.

What gets me the most is the fact that he did it when his team was in a pennant race. Was the pressure getting to him? I don't know, but at the same time, we don't know why he did it.

Would he have come out on his own and admitted it? Nope.
So why are we praising him?
If any athlete, coach or manager comes out and says, "I did drugs," are we gonna throw a parade for him or her? I hope not.

This team is on the brink of being a contender for a while, and I do think Washington has something to do with that. At the same time, I think he doesn't need to be around when this team starts winning divisions.

Here we are 2 weeks away from Opening Day, and the story around the Rangers is Washington. Not Chris Davis hitting, or Rich Harden pitching. It is Ron "f'ing" Washington and drug talk. The team got bored with it two years ago, and again last year with Josh Hamilton.
This team deserves better than that, and if the manager is going to throw them under the bus, then he needs to get the hell out of here. I have no use for him anymore.

It is official. I am restarting the "Fire Ron Washington" campaign. Who is with me?

Thanks again, and any feedback can be sent to
John@bibadsportsdaddy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment