Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Texas Tech Coaching Search

I have been very proud of the last couple of years to call myself a Texas Tech Red Raider fan. Those days were extremely close to coming to an end.

When it comes to the whole Mike Leach-Adam James saga, I am not gonna take any side. As more and more information comes out, it looks as if both parties are to blame. So I have a few simple parting words for both parties.

First, to Mike Leach: Thank you for putting my football program into the spotlight. When I was a student in Lubbock, it was a foregone conclusion that we were losing to Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M, every year. Since your arrival, the program has blossomed into a force to be reckoned with. I really appreciate that as a fan.

Second, to Adam James: Thank you for your father's money. Not only did you stink it up on the baseball diamond, but also the football field. You have used your last name to get into the spotlight, and for that, I congratulate you. Everytime, I see you on tv, everyone says, " Hey, there is Craig James' son Adam." I went to Texas Tech, and yet when people see me, they say " hey, there is John Conner." Adam, please someday, become your own man.

But on with the coach search. I truly hope the rumors are true, and Art Briles becomes the head coach. I also hope Briles recognizes the greatness of the coach, and more importantly the man, and keeps Ruffin McNeil as the defensive coordinator. He has been a true class act during this time.

For those of us that hope they talk to Gary Patterson...keep dreaming. As much as I like the idea, he is a God in DFW. He is not going anywhere.

Tommy Tuberville...I got nothing. He put Auburn on probation and left. I really don't want him either.

Sonny Dykes...Well, your dad was ok, but I am not sure about your head coaching.

All in all, Tech can continue winning with the right head coach. Having a offensive coach similar to Leach, will help the smoothness of the transition. I am pulling for Briles, because he knows the offense and he can recruit in Texas.

This whole situation has been awful, but there is a way to move on: hire Briles, and keep Ruffin.

The best way to announce it is during the BCS National Championship game.

Just a thought.

Thanks, and talk to you later,

John Conner

No comments:

Post a Comment