Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chuck Greenberg saves the day

It has never been a secret that my favorite sport is baseball. I love to watch it, I love to play it. I just love the game. More importantly, I love the Texas Rangers.

Over the last couple of years, I have watched Mark Cuban and Jerry Jones build new stadiums, and spend dollar after dollar on talent. On the other end of the spectrum, sits Tom Hicks. Not only are the Stars and Rangers the only local teams not making the playoffs, but they are not players in free agency either. ( for the big name guys. I would have loved to have seen John Lackey here)

Now, I will give Hicks a little credit for the Rangers, because he has put baseball people in charge of the day to day operations. I give Jon Daniels a ton of credit, because he has assembled a good team with limited resources.

I apologize for digressing. Let me get to my point.

Tom Hicks is in no position to improve the Texas Rangers from a financial point of view. This team was a player or two away from making a serious run at the division. They needed money, and Hicks doesn't have any.

Step in Chuck Greenberg.
Green berg is leading the group that is purchasing the Texas Rangers.

Why do I like this? 2 reasons.

First, look at the Pittsburgh Penguins. Greenberg helped Mario Lemieux buy the team that was about to fold because of money, and now they are the defending champs, and have a bright future ahead.

Second, he is buddies with Nolan Ryan. Ryan is slowly becoming the face of the franchise. Who better in Texas to be the face...No one.

Also, Greenberg is letting Hicks be a small owner, but is not letting him on the board of governors. That is a great move. Hicks lets his ego get in the way of smart baseball decisions.

The Rangers have a young team with a solid nucleus. Players such as Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton and Elvis Andrus are going to be on this team for a long time, and now when the guys hit free agency, it is not guaranteed that they are going somewhere else.

Greenberg is gonna bring stability to an organization that has been lacking some for a while now. Nolan will still run the day to day operations, and Daniels will still be the general manager. Ron Washington, now has the freedom to ask for a player, and he may actually get it.

It is too late for Greenberg to help this off season, and there is not really anyone of note worth going after, but the trade deadline in July is going to be really exciting this year. If the Rangers are in the race, and I assume they will be, Greenberg has already said that there will be money to go after players.

The Rangers have not been able to make a significant move at the deadline since they got Carlos Lee and Nelson Cruz from Milwaukee.

Things around here are about to change. Chuck Greenberg sounds like he is a lot closer to being Mark Cuban or Jerry Jones, rather than Tom Hicks.
We are about 3 weeks away from spring training, and I haven't been this excited since, well last year, but I am a little different. I really love the direction this team is going both on and off the field. I hope it continues because this is going to be a great ride.

With Greenberg added to the mix, we have Jerry, Mark and Chuck. That just leaves one more thing...Anyone want to buy the Stars?

John Conner
jpconner9@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment