Sunday, July 11, 2010

Kudos to Jon Daniels

I know it has been written about, talked about and such, but I really don't think Jon Daniels and his crew are getting as much credit as they should. This is the first move they have made in a long while that suggests they are going for it all...NOW.

I have been on the JD fire bandwagon for some time for trading Adrian Gonzalez and John Danks. I have slowly gotten closer to getting off the fire bandwagon after the Mark Texiera trade and the low buy-high reward signings he has made the last couple of off seasons.

Signing Vladamir Guerrero and Colby Lewis were genius. Sure, the Rich Harden signing looks bad, but 1 out of 5 is not bad.

But what he has done the last couple of weeks, without any money, is down right amazing. Getting San Fransisco to pay for Bengie Molina to play here was awesome. He is the type of catcher this pitching staff needs, and he is an upgrade offensively. Then, the Cliff Lee trade was flat out amazing. I will miss Justin Smoak and still thinks he will be a stud in the majors for a long time, but Lee is arguably one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball. And to be honest, I don't think Daniels is through. I still think he will add a right handed hitting first baseball, whether it is Ty Wiggington or Xavier Nady.

I guess I am just in awe right now that the Ranger staff said 3 years ago that 2010 was the year they go for it, and they are. The minor leagues are still stacked with Derek Holland, Tanner Scheppers, Martin Perez, Mitch Moreland and so on and on.

And did I mention that Daniels is doing this with NO MONEY? He is being creative, but most importantly, he is putting a winning ball club out on the field.

A week ago, I was ok going to war with Colby Lewis, CJ Wilson and then whomever. But now, I am ecstatic to go with Cliff Lee, Colby Lewis and CJ Wilson in a playoff series.

It is getting to where now I am looking a playoff match-ups. I haven't done that in 10 years, and whether you want to or not, most of the credit should go to Jon Daniels.

I would love to hear from you. Send me a message at john@bigbadsportsdaddy.com.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment