Sunday, June 13, 2010

2010 NBA Finals = Boring

The 2010 version of the NBA Finals can be summed up in one word...BORING.

The story lines that the media is trying to create just are not there. The one that I hear the most is, for Kobe to be considered one of the All-Time Laker greats, he has to beat Boston. So let me get this straight, Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain are not Laker greats. They only won one title and it was against the New York Knicks. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Kobe Bryant has 4 rings. If he wins this year, he gets his 5th, which would put him on par with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It doesn't matter who you beat as long as you are considered the champs.

But, that is what this series has come to. There are no story lines. This is not the 1980s. Nobody really cares about teams anymore.

The NBA has become all about the players. I don't have a problem with that, but it makes for a boring finals. If each team had a marquee player, then it would be all good.

If it was LeBron vs. Kobe, then we have something. What about Dwight vs. Gasol? I would watch. Even, Nash vs. LeBron. It would be exciting.

The best thing about the NBA is also its biggest flaw.

Back in the 1980s, everyone had their team. People loved the Boston Celtics and LA Lakers. Later in the decade, it was the Detroit Bad Boys, and the Chicago Bulls.
Even in the 1990s, you had the San Antonio Spurs, Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets. They were all teams. They were not individuals.

When you think of Cleveland you think LeBron. Miami equals D-Wade. Dallas - Dirk. Lakers - Kobe. Denver - Carmelo.

This has become a superstar driven league, and when one of the teams doesn't have a true superstar...you get this year.

Don't get me wrong, I love Boston because they play as a team. There is no one guy that does it all. Rajon Rondo will be there in a year or two, but not right now.

I just miss following teams, and the fact that you knew everyone on the team you followed. Down here in Dallas, I know I am one of the few guys that could name the entire roster. Most people can name Dirk and Kidd, and that is about it.

I really want the NBA to go back to a team first mentality, but I am afraid that just is not going to happen.

Bottom line, nobody outside of Boston and Los Angeles really cares who wins this series. That includes me.

Peace out. John Conner

As always, I would love your feedback. Send it to john@bigbadsportsdaddy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment