Sunday, April 4, 2010

Opening Day

It is that time of year again.
The sun is starting to shine, the temperatures are around 80, and the grass is green.
This is my favorite time of year.

It is OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing is better. You team is still in first place, the ballpark looks brand new, everyone thinks this is the year for their team.
I do have a bit of bad news for some of you though; it is not your year, it is my year.

The Texas Rangers how done just enough to pass the Angels for the Al West division. Seattle could have been a threat, but Cliff Lee is already on the DL, and the pitching in Seattle (beside Felix) stinks.

Everything is going into place.

I know it is odd to say this, but every year that the Rangers have a a good spring, they either stink or just do ok. When their record stinks in the spring, they play great. So don't put too much into the 10-19 record.

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington should be packed tomorrow. A great day, a new year, the smell of hot dogs and peanuts, and in a couple of weeks, a new owner.

This is the year. Nolan Ryan has said this team is gonna succeed, and I believe him. Who isn't?
The team has depth in pitching, the outfield, the infield, and in managers. If Ron Washington struggles, both Clint Hurdle and Jackie Moore have managed in the big leagues. But what am I saying? There will be no struggles.

If any players struggle, there is quality depth in the minors. Not yet veterans, but players like Derek Holland, Kasey Kiker, Mitch Moreland and Justin Smoak are ready to make an impact. If not, you can use those guys and others, to trade for what you do need.

I have not been this excited about Opening day since, well last year, but I believe more this year. I know the first pitch hasn't been thrown, but this team looks and sounds different. They know that if they don't perform, they will be replaced. And they accept that, and believe that is the way it should be. They want to be accountable.

I can't wait until I am out at the ballpark eating nachos and drinking a beer. I want to be a part of what is going to happen this year.

I suggest that you get there as well. This is gonna be special. Don't miss it.

Thanks, as always, and give me a little feedback at john@bigbadsportsdaddy.com.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment